Three music stages pack 21 hours of music into the BRFF day. From gospel to blues, with a world of string band and old-style bluegrass picking in between, the Blue Ridge Folklife Festival highlights “real roots” musicians who have been playing the music of the Southern Highlands most if not all of their lives.
Here’s a partial list of our 2017 lineup. Additional artists will be added into the fall, so check back for updates. Performance times and stage locations will be posted in October.
- “A Buffet of Banjo Styles”—Featuring Kinney Rorrer, Adam Hurt, Kevin Fore, Stuart Werner, and others.
- “The Music of the Legendary Carter Family Lives On”—Featuring Dale Jett & Hello Stranger and Bill Clifton.
- “Songs I Learned at Home: Family Ballad Traditions”—Featuring Eddie Bond and Bobby McMillon.
Bands & Musicians
- Gerald Anderson Band—Sweet Old-Time Songs and Tunes From Southwest Virginia
- Five Mile Mountain Road–Hold-on-to-Your Hats Old-Time Music
- Kevin Fore–Exploring the Kyle Creed, Low Gap Banjo Style
- Wayne Henderson & Friends—Hot Picking and Fine Old-Time Songs
- Adam Hurt–Banjo Mastery in the Clawhammer Style
- Dale Jett & Hello Stranger–Holding to That Carter Family Sound
- Jim Lloyd–Old Tunes on the Banjo and Guitar
- Darren & Bailey Moore—Songs and Tunes From the Carter Family Tradition
- Moose Family—Gospel Harmonies To Move Your Feet and Chill Your Spine
- New Ballards Branch Bogtrotters--Old-time Songs and Dance Numbers
- Kinney Rorrer–Exploring the Banjo Mastery of Charlie Pool
- Rorrer Brothers & Son—Tunes and Songs in the Style of 1920s Greats Charlie Poole and Posey Rorrer
- Doug Rorrer and Taylor Rorrer—Old-Time Guitar Styles
- Jeffrey Scott—Crisp Blues Picking and Singing in Virginia’s Piedmont style
- Larry Sigmon & Martha Spencer—An Unforgettable Mountain Dance Music Sound From a High-Energy Duo
- Smokey Valley Boys–Hard-Driving Old-Time Music From the Carolina Blue Ridge
- Larnell Starkey & the Spiritual Seven—Joyous Praise-the-Lord African-American Gospel (Chapel Stage: 11:00)
- True Life Travelers–Rich Bluegrass Gospel
- Jeanette & Johnny Williams–The Bluegrass Sound in Many Flavors
- Stuart Werner–Exploring Three-Finger, Scruggs-Style Banjo Picking